+63 082 221-2915
+63 932 936-5583 SUN Mobile
skip to the main content area of this page
A tribute to baptismals
Linmarr Room Renovations January 1, 2019 It's more fun in the Philippines! Visit our PHOTO-FUN events!

Getting married? Need a place to live?

Link to Linmarr Towers Condominium Complex Davao

Linmarr Towers Condominium Complex "Tomorrow's Neighbourhood Today"

(click the image above)

Link to Wacky, funny, and candid wedding pictures from around the world

General Philippine Marriage Requirements


Marriage License: a requirement for either a Civil or Church wedding to be held in the Philippines. The Application Form for a marriage license must be secured at the Local Civil Registrar from the city, town or municipality where either the bride or the groom habitually resides. The personal appearance of those getting married is required in applying for a marriage license.

Follow this link to view the Marriage License and expand

In Davao City, please get in touch with:
Office of the City Registrar
Ground Floor, Sangguniang Panglungsod Building
San Pedro St.,Davao City
Tel.Nos.: +63(082) 227-5794/+63(082) 227-8060
Contact Person: Atty. Leo Anthony Braceros, Officer In Charge

Each of the contracting parties shall file separately a sworn application for each license with the proper local civil registrar. Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the Application to the issuance of the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days from date of issuance and may be used anywhere in the Philippines.

At the time the contracting parties appear to file their application for a Marriage License to the local civil registrar, he or she must also submit the following supporting documents:

  • Birth Certificate: Certified True Copy required of each the contracting parties with the respective registry number. This document is issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO).
  • NOTE: NSO now provides a web service which accepts online application for copies of birth and marriage certificates. It is called the e-Census, a web facility aimed to provide Filipinos within and outside the country an alternative means in applying for copies of their civil registry documents. It also has a 24-7 hotline called the NSO Helpline Plus with telephone no. (632)737-1111. You could also reach them via email through: e-census.L.Hufana@mail.census.gov.ph

Parents' Consent (for 18-21 years old) or Parent's Advice (for 21-25 years old): Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. While any contracting party between the age of 22 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry.

Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marital counseling and family planning seminar conducted by the Division of Maternal and Child Health at the Municipal/City Hall in the same municipality or city where the contracting parties applied for the marriage license.


The marriage license is one of the vital documents to couples-to-be. However, the 1987 Family Code waives this requirement when:

  • Either or both of the contracting parties are at the point of death. The marriage remains valid even if the ailing party subsequently survives.
  • If the residence of either party is located that there is no means of transportation to enable such party to appear personally before the local civil registrar.
  • In the cases provided for in the two preceding articles, the solemnizing officer shall state in an affidavit executed before the local civil registrar or any other person legally authorized to administer oaths that the marriage was performed in articulo mortis (when the party at the point of death is unable to sign the marriage certificate); or that the residence of either party, specifying the barrio or barangay, is so located that there is no means of transportation to enable such party to appear personally before the local civil registrar and that the officer took the necessary steps to ascertain the ages and relationship of the contracting parties and the absence of legal impediment to the marriage.
  • The original of the affidavit required in the last preceding article, together with the legible copy of the marriage contract, shall be sent by the person solemnizing the marriage to the local civil registrar of the municipality where it was performed within the period of thirty days after the performance of the marriage.
  • Marriages among Muslims or among members of the ethnic cultural communities may be performed validly without the necessity of marriage license, provided they are solemnized in accordance with their customs, rites or practices.
  • No license shall be necessary for the marriage of a man and a woman who have lived together as husband and wife for at least five years and without any legal impediment to marry each other. The contracting parties shall state the foregoing facts in an affidavit before any person authorized by law to administer oaths. The solemnizing officer shall also state under oath that he ascertained the qualifications of the contracting parties are found no legal impediment to the marriage.


The 1987 Family Code of the Philippines' Chapter 1, Article 7 recognizes the authority of the following to solemnize marriages:

  • Any incumbent member of the judiciary is authorized to solemnize marriages within his court's jurisdiction (i.e. a Supreme Court justice could solemnize marriages anywhere in the Philippines while a Municipal Trial Court judge of Davao City cannot solemnize a marriage in Samal(IGACOS);
  • Any priest, rabbi, imam, or minister of any church or religious sect duly authorized by his church or religious sect. He should be registered with the civil registrar general and act within the limits of the written authority granted him by his church or religious sect. Likewise, at least one of the contracting parties should belong to the solemnizing officer's church or religious sect;
  • Any ship captain or airplane chief only in the case of marriages in articulo mortis between passengers or crew members, not only while the ship is at sea or the plane is in flight, but also during stopovers at ports of call;
  • Any military commander of a unit to which a chaplain is assigned. The commander could solemnize marriages in the absence of the chaplain or during military operation. Likewise, in the case of marriages in articulo mortis between persons within the zone of military operation, whether members of the armed forces or civilians;
  • Any consul-general, consul or vice-consul in the case of marriages between Filipino citizens abroad. The issuance of the marriage license and the duties of the local civil registrar and of the solemnizing officer with regard to the celebration of marriage shall be performed by the said consular official.


The marriage ceremony must be solemnized by an individual with the legal authority to perform such a ceremony. Upon the completion of the ceremony all participants (the presiding official, the witnesses, and the husband and wife) must sign the Marriage Certificate (Family Code of the Philippines, Articles 2-7).

Following the signing of the marriage certificate by all parties involved, the marriage certificate must be sent to the city hall or the municipality in which the Philippine national habitually resides. It will then be registered by the local civil register. (Family Code of the Philippines, Article 23). Please remember to get certified true copies of the marriage contract from the local civil registrar.

Follow this link to view the Marriage Certificate and expand